November 13, 2006

To D, with love

Dear D,

We've come a long way, baby! It seems like just yesterday we were sitting across from each other on our first date at Bruno's, trying hard not to make eye contact because we couldn't stop smiling cheesy smiles whenever we'd look each other in the eye. Even though we only dated for a few short weeks before we decided to get married, I know it was the right choice for me and I'm so glad we've made it this far, beating the odds.

How blessed I am to have you in my life! Our kids are awesome, and I know that's partly because of how great a dad you are. When we got married, you took on the job of raising my son as your own, and you've always shown him support and love. You amaze me sometimes with what you are willing to do for and with our kids that I know my dad never would have done for me.

Remember how mad at you I was when we went to our Halloween dinner party last month, and you didn't end up using your "wardrobe malfunction" costume I created for you? I know it was probably due to the unfortunate design error that caused the pasty to fall off your nipple each time you pulled the hidden string to make your chest pocket fall away, and also your discomfort/anxiety at social events that happens once in a while.

I was so mad at you for just sitting there and seemingly not having fun, when we were surrounded by friends, but then I thought twice about it over the next few days. Did I really have the right to be mad at you for being uncomfortable with exposing your bare (sexy) breast to the people at our party?

When we got married and had our reception afterward, you stood up in front of all those people, family, and friends and read me your personal vows.

"I promise to you, Lisa, that from this day forward I will live my life for you. I will be your dearest and closest friend, whom I will respect and trust forever. My heart belongs to you - to comfort and cherish you, and my love you shall have until the day I die. But until that day, these promises that I have shared with you I will always keep and honor with all my heart and I will make all your dreams come true."


I knew you were going to do this, and that you wanted me to read you my vows as well, but I was young and I was scared, and I was irrationally afraid of crying in front of all those people (you know how ugly I get when I cry). In the end I chickened out and couldn't do it. But you read your vows to me anyway. And you made me cry with how romantic your words were. I wonder if your entire family judged me for not saying vows back to you, but if they did, I never felt censure from them, only love and acceptance.

That's what I feel from you, and it is the best gift a wife could ask for.

Happy Anniversary, my love.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post!!!!

Genilimaa said...

When it comes to men and marriage, I always think of the wisdom once shared by an older colleague when I was young and not yet hitched.
She said:
"There are days when I can't believe my luck and there are others when I can't believe I married the idiot."

Happy anniversary!

Sideon said...

Happy Anniversary, SML.

You and your hubby sound like two amazing people. I love the vow he wrote for you.

Anonymous said...

Question: How do I add a link to my comments? You did it once when you left me a comment (Bill Mahr halloween costume), and I can't figure out how to do it...can you help a simpleton?

Cele said...

Wow, I hope D reads your blog, it is a wonderful post. I wish for you both many happy tomorrows....together of course

Sister Mary Lisa said...

"Said" Woman, I replied on your blog...

Anonymous said...

Awwww... Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you've got an incredible husband, and he's got such an incredible wife! I'll raise a glass to you two next time I drink! :) (BTW, how was your wine the other night?)

Janet Kincaid said...

Happy Anniversary, SML! D sounds like a good man. May you have many, many happy years together.

Freckle Face Girl said...

That is so sweet. Happy Anniversary!

Jazzy said...

SML,

Happy Anniversary!

:)

Make today special! I hope you and D have many many more years filled with love and laughter!!