November 10, 2006

I bow to their gifted way with words...

While I was shopping for said index cards last night, I saw a cardboard display unit for Kotex feminine hygiene products with this slogan:

KOTEX. Fits. Period.

Ingenious. I'd like to shake the hand of the ad exec who came up with something so profound.

Picture their brainstorming session: Four men sitting in a conference room, late in the evening. Boxes of Kotex, pads and tampons strewn all over the table, intermingled with open Chinese take out boxes and hundreds of crumpled pages of rejected ideas. Until suddenly...

"I've got it!" One ad exec stands up in excitement, not aware that his hair is standing on end or that he's spilled Chinese red sauce on the front of his white shirt.

"I mean, what does your wife or girlfriend say SUCKS THE MOST about when she has her period? That the products don't fit or they feel funky or they don't protect, right?"

One man speaks up. "Umm, call me crazy, but I thought it was the cramps, bloating, migraines, and water retention they hated the most. And don't forget the PMS."

Groaning and nods of agreement from all.

"Yeah, but how on earth can we promote this product with a positive spin if we mention all the shitty things about menstruation?? That's no good. Here's my idea. It's simple really. Kotex fits."

"Yeah, but how about all the people who have never heard the word Kotex? They need to know it's products for when a woman is on her period..."

"Saaaaay! That's IT! Kotex. Fits. Period. Our work here is done."

7 comments:

Freckle Face Girl said...

Now, those are the guys that should do ads for politicians.

Sideon said...

I'm being a bad student, reading blogs during an online class, but I can't help myself. They're going over "Boolean Expressions with Numbers" and I'm just glazing - and it's NOT because of the cold medicine.

SML - you are hysterical :) I love your posts.

Just one of many said...

If you can put a positive spin on the joys of menstration... Your right it had to be men!!

Alyndabear said...

That.... is classic!!

Cele said...

I'm with One on this one, except I know that very few men hear anything after the word period. It's like this...they hear...

Honey, I bloated from my periodblablablablabla

Janet Kincaid said...

I remember the first I saw this ad campaign on t.v. This big RED period comes flying onto the screen and lands at the end of the sentence. I also remembering thinking, "Are you f*cking kidding me?! What numb nut came up with that campaign?" I read several days later that the campaign targets a much younger demographic and is trying to make periods seem hip and okay.

All I can say is, you (ad exec) can take this hip, okay tampon and shove it! (Whoa. And I'm not even PMSing.)

Dayngr said...

This post still cracks me up. Now, everytime I think of Kotex, I think of you. In a good way!