November 27, 2006

Skiing the Alps

A blog post a day, a blog post a day!

How difficult is that? I thought it'd be super easy, but I definitely noticed that it was a lot less fun posting because I felt I HAD to vs. posting because I had something to say. But I already wrote about that.

I'm glad I'm almost through the month and have made good on my desire to try a post a day.

We are enduring a lot colder weather this week than we've had lately. Tomorrow is supposed to be 9 degrees Farenheit. Not my idea of a good time. Seriously. Some people love this weather because it means snow is coming and they can hit the ski slopes again.

I discovered I am no skier. I tried it once in my life, in the Austrian Alps, no less. It was a five-day ward party with the church congregation.

A few things I learned:

1. Little kids make skiing the bunny slopes look so easy.

2. Little kids have a lot less distance between their bum and the ground than an eighteen year old has who is 5' 9" tall.

3. I don't enjoy being cold. I already knew that before, but the cold that comes from within due to fear makes outside cold even worse.

4. I don't enjoy feeling like I'm going faster than I can control, unless I'm in a car.

5. I'm a weenie when it comes to skiing.

6. I really, really enjoy a good cup of hot cocoa in the lodge, while watching skiers enjoying themselves through the window.

7. There's something fun about a sleepover with other kids and adults in a lodge setting.

8. Getting off the lift is a lot easier said than done. I fell immediately and humiliated myself. It was only the beginning.

9. Hanging out on the bunny slope for two full days makes your host dad look at you and shake his head in disbelief.

10. Refusing to go back up the mountain after trying it only once makes your host dad really look at you with true despair.

11. It ain't pretty when a tall girl falls. I seriously had snow packed in my glasses. At least 5 times.

12. People who really love me, do so in spite of my inability to enjoy skiing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in Utah for ages and never skied a day in my life. Ever. Waterskiing, yes. Snow skiing? No. It never made sense to me.

Cold.
Snow.
Gravity.

I would end up like Sony Bono, colliding with a tree and dying instantly. Or lingering on just to bug the hell out of everyone.

Yes - this post once a day thing as a mandate is just insane. It takes the fun out of it. It's like HAVING to have sex instead of WANTING to have sex. Ya know? There's a certain surety in not knowing sometimes.

The Cat said...

And yet, I find sometimes that posting once a day is limiting. Maybe I've got too much to say

Anonymous said...

Innsbruck Austria is my favorite ski resort in the world. I'm just sayin'....

Anonymous said...

I'm the same with skiing. HATE THE COLD.
As for the hot chocolate in the lodge and your new alcoholic nature: Try some peppermint schnapps in it. We already know your thoughts on kahlua which is tasty also. The kids can come back to a lush of a mother that has started her sleepover early at the table after dancing on it and puking down her snowsuit. Not really that bad considering what T likes to do in her snowsuits!

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Ha ha ha, Eric. Too funny. Yeah, we know what Tony likes to do in her snowsuit! It's that tiny bladder problem she wishes we'd forget! The one that sprays right into her hood as she attempts to squat in the snowy woods!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, SML, visits from Azerbaijan - so exotic. I have been there, actually and it is lovely.

I am thinking that one blog posting a day is too much. And maybe it will cut down on my blog addiction if I cut back;-)

Janet Kincaid said...

Like Sideon, I, too, lived in Utah for ages and never skied. Ever. We tobogganed a bit in the winter, but even that wasn't all that fun. And for all the reasons you list: cold, cold, and cold.

I've thought about learning to ski, but then I realize I can find better ways to break a leg. Assuming that's what I want to do, of course.

As for hot beverages, there's nothing better on a cold day. Which makes me think, I might go downstairs and brew myself a cup of mint tea...

And that blog-a-day thing, it's a bugger, ain't it. Though you've done a great job with yours! I've enjoyed every day.

Anonymous said...

You should give snowboarding a try. You fall on your ass a lot but somehow it doesn't seem as bad. Plus, the boots are comfortable and the the life style is mellow.

Cele said...

I have never desired to try snow skiing - cold, pain, broken bones. Not for me. Plus I have a hard enough time walking, let alone ski.

Hmmmm, cocoa with kahlua, warm fire, (what's the opposite of a snow bunny? I could just ogle.)

Anonymous said...

"the cold that comes from within due to fear makes outside cold even worse" = AMEN!