September 26, 2006

Nice letter by Joseph Smith

This is one of the letters that Joseph Smith wrote to the Whitneys within a month of acquiring 17 year old Sarah Ann Whitney as one of his plural wives. (Found it on the Deseret Books website) It really disturbs me. It just screams to me sneaky-cheating-bastard-but-I-know-it-is-the-will-of-God-that-you-should-comfort-me-now-in-this-time-of-affliction-bullshit. Note how he wants them to watch for Emma, and if she's there it isn't safe. Hmmmm. Wonder why he'd say that?

3 comments:

Just one of many said...

Just another confirmation that he was a lying bastard!! Thanks for the link!!

SocietyVs said...

crazy letter, if he was a prophet then why was this is of such high concern? OT prophets seemed to turn to God in their utter despair and lonliness, even Jesus did in the garden. I read that and man is that wild stuff.

Anonymous said...

Strange that no apologists commented on THIS one trying to rescue you from outer darkness. I guess they feel comfortable in warm, fuzzy generalizations. Heaven forbid we actually LOOK at the evidence and THEN talk about how much it reaffirms their faith.